Max and Miles who, to Me, Will Always be Secretly Named "Gus"

The blog about Max and his little brother, Miles. Stunningly cute boys and future leaders of the rebel forces.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

The Old Old Man


I am the new old man. The old old man finally got to meet his grandson. You can see Bonus Grandma Gerry in the background using a great deal of self control. In her mind, she is saying, "You: give me the baby. Give me the baby. Give me the baby. You will give me the baby. . . Now!" She had forgotten that the Pogatshnik brain is impervious that sort of mind control: the skull is too thick. Also, messages, once received, are processed verrrryyyy slllooowwwwly.

Anyway, I was talking about my Dad. A long time ago, I informed my Mom, in front of both of them, that Dad was perfect. Mom found this very funny and wished she had a tape recorder. I think I was about 8 or 9 at the time and, now that I look back on it, the emotional context for the two of them probably made my comment pretty interesting. It wasn't too long after that I realized that Dad was probably not perfect. Then, there was a fairly long stretch where I thought I was perfect. Now, I see that Dad was (and is) doing the best he could which, thankfully, has turned out to be pretty damn good.

I can only hope that 36 years from now, perfection aside, Max feels as good about his father as I feel about his grandfather.

Thanks, Old Man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter